Friday, December 28, 2012

Flatland

It's been a long time since I paid any attention to flatworms. The only worms I think about on a regular (irregular) basis are earthworms, and only when I see them committing suicide on rainy days. Which is an interesting practice, if mystifying, but probably not indicative of their fascinating existences.

Planaria are flatworms, and at one point I knew that, probably for several years after I took high-school biology, but at some point I forgot and just vaguely knew that they were critters that one studied in biology, under a microscope or in a textbook. When I was a freshman in college I drew an amusing little cartoon on the wall of a "disco planarian", referring to the Good Rats song, "Papa Poppa". Well, we were drunk a lot of the time. Now I feel bad that someone had to repaint that wall.

What I drew was a bonafide planarian; so I knew then what I don't know now. He even had a set of charming cilia ("Freds", in our collegiate parlance).

I knew a lot of things then which I don't know now, but I was also a pain in the ass. I suppose I still am, but I don't care much. I do care that I don't know anything about worms any more, though. Something to study upon for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment