Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Good Scissors


I left the good scissors by the bathroom sink, and noticed that they are getting a bit rusty. I will have to be more careful with them; it doesn't seem like there are Good Scissors any more.

Maybe the pinnacle of scissor-making was fifty or a hundred years ago. It seems to me that the turning point was past with the introduction of plastic handles. Scissors have been nothing but trouble ever since.

Somewhere around here there is another pair of Good Scissors, sewing scissors that also cut straight and sure. I wish I could find them.

Mostly I admit that the past was as cheap and unpleasant as the future promises to be, but they knew how to make scissors. And toenail clippers. Archaeologists of the future will wonder how they did it, when their technology mostly consisted of tinny sounding, crappy transistor radios and appliances painted unpleasant colors. Mysteries of the ancients.

No comments:

Post a Comment